I was inspired by a cake a friend posted on Facebook and found the perfect person with whom to bake it.
Executive Chef Peter, age 5, placed most of the sprinkles on this cake by hand one at a time. He wished we were on Top Chef, but he worried that if we were, “we could not finish our cake in the allotted time.”
How to Make Rainbow Cake
1) Mix up your favorite white cake recipe that makes 2 8″ or 9″ layers.
2) Divide batter evenly between six medium bowls. Add enough of each color of food coloring to each bowl and mix until the desired shade is reached.
3) Grease and flour the cake pans.
4) Slowly pour the batter into pans. Put the red, orange and yellow into the first layer, and make the second layer green, blue and purple. Slowly pour the red into the pan from the center then the orange then the yellow. Each color will push the previous color to the outside of the pan. Repeat for the second layer.
5) Bake the cake and frost as desired. I chose to make a frosting rainbow on top as well.